Women's Travel Safety 10 Tips

Top 10 Safety Tips for Women Traveling SOLO

#1

.
Always be aware of your surroundings. I can’t tell you how many times I prevented bad things from happening simply because I was constantly aware of my environment (not distracted playing on my phone) and as a result I escaped unharmed.

#2

.
Look potential Attackers IN THE EYES. Attackers want an easy target, not a challenge and by looking them in the face you emit confidence which will most likely deter them.

#3

.
Always put your safety first and foremost. Money or trying to not seem impolite to a stranger is secondary!

#4

.
Use your gut instincts. If you have any hints of red flags going off, LISTEN TO THEM! Get out of there immediately.

#5

.
Spend a little extra money on a nicer hostel or hotel if the one you booked online turns out to be less than par. I once booked the cheapest hostel I could find and upon arrival discovered that I was dead center in the red light district. The hostel was nothing like the reviews and was a complete dump. I was also placed in an all-male dorm room. Needless to say, I used my gut and relinquished my cancellation fees, marched the hell out of there and got myself a nicer place without any regrets! Better safe than sorry and I was definitely not sorry… ​

#6

.
Always be willing to change your plan

#7

.
Be careful who you take advice from. Con artists are smooth talkers. They are very good at seeming harmless, helpful and like your best friend. This doesn’t mean all strangers give potentially dangerous false advice—on the contrary! —this simply means use your better judgement and if something seems off or you start to feel those red flags waving, thank them for their help and find someone else to ask help or advice from.

#8

.
Be careful with taxi drivers/tuk-tuks. Take photos of their plates (with the driver watching) and always check your map to be sure they are not taking you in a wrong direction or deserted streets. Never get inside a taxi which is unmarked, or “fake.” Every country usually has registered taxis and those are the safest ones to use especially if you are unfamiliar with the new place having just arrived at the airport, for example. Again, it’s better to spend a little extra money instead of take a risk. Once you’re more familiar with the locals and the language and the place, you can deal with these scenarios better.

#9

.
Find out from the locals what the most common scams or tourist traps there are in the area and avoid them!

#10

.
When in doubt, ask a local woman for help. Women, especially in countries like India or Asia, understand how difficult it is for a woman in their country and sympathize greatly. They also are familiar with their culture and customs and are generally more than happy to play mama bear and protect you. Women running the local shops or even passing by in the street are almost always operating on the “sisterhood code.” All you have to do is ask!